BEQUAERT OLD BOOKS
Charges for Shipments to Canada
(Revised February 2, 2013)
PLEASE NOTE: Books can no longer be shipped surface mail to foreign countries. All shipments now go by air. We can insure any foreign shipment for the declared value of the item shipped.
We have had, over the years, a number of problems with shipments of books to Canada. In particular, we have had a number of instances where books have taken over a month to arrive. We suspect that Canadian customs was responsible for many long delays. While this situation has seemed to improve in the last year, we cannot guarantee a delivery time, or provide a refund for lost items (unless the item is insured). Our policy for shipment to Canada is as follows:
- Customs Charges: The declared value of an item written on the customs slip attached to an item when mailed will be the actual paid price on the enclosed invoice (not including postage). We cannot make exceptions to this policy.
- Insurance: We automatically insure (at no cost to you) items that have sold for $100. or more. If requested, we will insure items of lesser value for a small additional fee. Insurance is alway for the declared value of the item being shipped.
- First-Class Mail International (FCMI): Items of up to 4 pounds weight may be shipped at First Class Mail International rate.
There are 2 ways to ship FCMI (1) "Flats" which are typically thin booklets or paper items that will fit in a stiff but flexible ("stay-flat") envelope or (2) "Packages", a category that includes almost anything else with a weight of up to 4 pounds. For the same weight, "Flats" shipments cost significantly less than "Packages".
- Items up to 4 pounds in weight may be shipped in a Priority Mail International Flat-rate Envelope for $20. (if they fit safely). A flat-rate box is also available up to 20 pounds. Generally a FCMI package is less expensive than at Priority Mail Envelope if the package weighs 2.5 pounds or less. However, it is often impossible to fit a 4 pound book in a Priority Mail Envelope so regular Prority Mail (by weight) must be used.
- Priority Mail International (PMI): The cost of shipment is determined by the weight of the item when packed for shipment. There is a weight limit of 66 pounds.
- Actual Charges: The charge to the buyer for postage will be approximately the cost of actual postage and insurance (if requested) plus $1. We are happy to quote postage on any item prior to its purchase. See below for typical postage costs.
- Confirmation: We usually send an e-mail message confirming our date of shipment of each order.
Typical Postage Costs
Here are typical amounts you would be charged by us in U.S. dollars for various items. (The numbers below do not include Candian Customs charges.):
FINAL NOTE: We regret that shipping books to Canada is so expensive. The USPS has just (January 2013) raised shipping charges by a huge amount for all foreign shipments.
- A small pamphlet, packed weight eight ounces, shipped First-Class Mail International "Flats" rate. Shipping charge: $9.
- A book, packed weight 2 pounds 4 ounces, shipped First-Class Mail International "package" rate. Shipping charge: $18.
- A six pound package of books purchased for $75. and shipped Priority Mail International, insured for $75.
Shipping charge: $42.
- A book(s) weighing ten pounds shipped in a Priority Mail International Flat-rate Regular size BOX (a flat rate box will only hold about 10 pounds of books). Shipping charge: $42.